NAVAL STATION NEWPORT, R.I. COVID-19 Update HPCON B
***NAVSTA Newport has shifted to HPCON B, CNIC Reset Stage 2 and Unrestricted Travel***
DOD HEALTH PROTECTION MEASURES AND THE CDC CONTINUE TO DIRECT THE WEARING OF FACE COVERINGS WHILE ONBOARD DOD INSTALLATIONS IN ANY LOCATIONS WHERE MASK WEARING IS REQUIRED. PLEASE NOTE: BE PREPARED WHEN YOU COME TO THE INSTALLATION FOR NEX/COMMISSARY VISITS OR BANKING THAT MASKS AND SOCIAL DISTANCE CONTINUE TO BE REQUIRED.
HPCON B IMPACTS
The change in status does not remove the requirement for PCS Travel Waivers to areas that are NOT GREEN IAW NAVADMIN Guidance. Per CUSFF/NAVNORTH FRAGORD 20-024.13, while on liberty, military members will comply with the following:
Service members are now given the opportunity to return to activities such as dining out, attending public gatherings and frequenting retail establishments, we must recognize these activities will continue to pose risk to our force and therefore we must remain vigilant in our force health protection measures;
Maintain a physical distance of at least six feet from others when in close contact for fifteen or more minutes and to the maximum extent practical, wear cloth face coverings when you are in close contact with others for fifteen or more minutes and are unable to maintain six feet of physical contact.
Observe guidance provided by YOUR LOCAL COMMAND (tenants), and NAVSTA Newport regarding use of installation services. Comply with all health protection restrictions / measures established by local civil authorities. Comply with YOUR UNIT CHAIN OF COMMAND on all COVID-19 related mitigation measures your unit has established.
*Please note - several installations that shifted to HPCON B have had to return to HPCON C- measures due to breakouts. It is incumbent on all of us to continue good social distancing, facemasks, and hand washing. We have not eradicated COVID. We will continue to navigate this pandemic through the near term. DO NOT GET COMPLACENT.
GATE 1 – OPEN (24/7)
GATE 17 – OPEN (24/7)
GATE 2 – NO CHANGE. WILL REMAIN CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
(last update Tuesday, July 14, 2020)
CHAPEL OF HOPE: (401) 841-2234. Updates are forthcoming as we navigate the updated guidance. For any questions/concerns please call (401) 841-2234 between 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
COMMISSARY: (401) 841-2112. 100% I.D. card checks at the entrance of all stores (must have a DoD I.D. to enter, or Veterans ID Card). As with grocery stores throughout the nation, the commissary is having challenges keeping stocks of high-demand items – including hand sanitizers and wipes – please feel free to bring your own for shopping. Please understand that there will be sales limits on select items until further notice. Maintain social distancing within the store wherever possible – please remember to do what you can to minimize contact during these stressful times. For questions or concerns while shopping, please reach out to Commissary Officer Sean Farrell by email at email@example.com or (401) 841-2111.
FLEET AND FAMILY SUPPORT CENTER: (401) 841-2283. No in-person appointments and counseling. Essential services are available remotely via the following numbers: Family Advocacy Program - (202) 718-8366; Sailor Assistance and Intercept for Life - (401) 841-6924 or 862-8415 and Sexual Assault Prevention and Response program - (401) 450-2327. If other assistance is needed please call (401) 841- 2283 and leave a message. Your call will be triaged and referred to the appropriate point of contact.
TAP requirements can be met through JKO. CAPSTONE may be completed at the command. All other training, classes and events postponed to limit close contact.
HOUSING OFFICE IN BUILDING 690: (401) 841-2232. No walk-ins until further notice. Please call ahead for an appointment.
ID CARD/CAC CARD SERVICES: (401) 841-3021. Effective immediately, ALL Navy ID Card Offices will be appointments – with exception of CAC PIN resets, which will be serviced without an appointment.
Items to note:
o Appointments must continue to meet the "Emergent Services" categories (see below) and must be screened via phone, at minimum, on the day prior to their appointment.
o Lost/Stolen or Initial Issuance CAC.
o Reissuance of CAC expiring within 60 days.
o Newly Retired Service Member IDs.
o Dependent IDs expiring within 30 days.
o AD/RET Dependent Enrollment
To make an appointment at https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil. Telephonic updates to your DEERS record may be accomplished by calling 1-800-361-2508.
JOINT PERSONAL PROPERTY SHIPPING OFFICE: (401) 841-4896 OR (978) 987-6551. For assistance with
household goods’ matters, please call either of the telephone numbers listed above, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. (If you are already working with a specific employee on your shipment then note - all employee work email addresses will remain active). JPPSO Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass.:
For assistance with that office, call 1-800-235-7776 or (781) 225-3700 or email email@example.com. Their after-hours number is (978) 987-6546.
MORALE, WELFARE AND RECREATION FACILITIES: (401) 841-2643. As NAVSTA Newport enters into an updated HPCON status, MWR activities will slowly begin to resume operations. Initially these will be heavily restricted in nature, with gradual expansion to follow. Patrons can continue to expect limitations and requirements that include wearing of masks, health and temperature screenings, usage restrictions, etc.
- John H. Chafee Fitness Center - The John H Chafee Fitness Center will open limited hours for walk in Active Duty patrons (DoD & active duty dependents 16+ during 6 to 8 a.m. & 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. only). Patrons will continue to be required to pass screening and temperature checks before entering, and strict limitations apply to the number of patrons authorized within each area of the facility. Commands looking to reserve exclusive time/space may reserve our newly assembled command fitness location in the basketball court area for their exclusive use. Locker rooms and showers remain closed, and we encourage everyone to read the FAQ’s (located on gym webpage) prior to coming to the fitness center. Questions, call (401) 841-2512. Hours: Monday through Friday 5 to 8 a.m.; 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.; & 3 to 7 p.m.
- POOL OPERATIONS: Active Duty reservations are required by calling (401) 841-2512. Reservations are made 24 hours in advance, first come, first served. FAQ’s are located on the pool webpage. Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. or 3 to 6:30 p.m.
- Officers' Club - Outdoor dining now available at the Newport Officers' Club! The club is now open to all hands for outdoor dining for both lunch and dinner Mondays-Fridays 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. (weather permitting). Reservations are REQUIRED, and space is limited with a substantially reduced number of tables. Bar seating and walk-up service are not available. Masks are required to be worn except when actively eating/drinking. Max party size is 4 (families with small children can fit 5) per table. Reservations can be made by texting (401) 418-4665. Reservations are not confirmed until you receive a confirmation text. Come join us for some long awaited summer sun on the club deck!
- Auto Skills Center - Auto Skills Center Bays will open by reservations only. Reservations must be made 24 hours in advance and can not be made the day of. To make a reservation, call the Coasters Harbor Island Marina at (401) 841-3283. Auto Skills Center hours available for reservations are Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1-4 p.m., two bays and one lift. This does not affect the car wash which is always open 24/7, no reservation needed.
- Community Recreation - Delivery Service/Pick Up ONLY 3 to 7 p.m. seven days a week. For menu click here.
- Leisure Bay Café - OPEN; Weekdays 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Weekends 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. All vehicle drivers use drive-thru, if on foot go inside to order and take out only. For menu click here.
- The MWR Stoveaway Food Truck: Current location - Between OTCN Callaghan Hall (BLDG 370), Marine Corps Detachment (BLDG 1112) & OTCN Lt. Murphy Combat Training Pool (BLDG 1357)! Available Monday through Friday, 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. For menu click here.
- Child Development Center – open to select essential personnel only. Families will be contacted as space becomes available.
- Coaster Harbor Island Marina - Existing patrons may put their boats in the water; overnight stays are now allowed. Kayak rentals are by reservation only and reservations must be made 24 hours in advance and can not be made the day of. Rentals are only available on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, limited time frames. To make a reservation, call the Coasters Harbor Island Marina at (401) 841-3283. Seasonal slip holders are allowed to place boats in the water. There are no boating lessons scheduled for this time.
ALL other MWR operations and events are temporarily suspended or paused, updates forthcoming as we work through the reset plan.
NAVAL HEALTH CLINIC NEW ENGLAND: (401) 841-3771. NHCNE / NMRTC/U New England would like to keep all their beneficiaries updated on clinical services specific to the rapidly evolving Coronavirus (COVID-19). Single point of entry remains in effect. Reduced clinical services to essential (acute) and those with a direct effect on operational/deployment readiness. Clinic hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday – Friday.
Newport Pharmacy Services: As NHCNE Clinics continue to enact health protection measures to minimize foot traffic through the facility and help to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, Newport Pharmacy has instituted a curbside drop-off and pickup prescription process. To facilitate service, you are **strongly** encouraged to call ahead to request any new prescriptions to be filled **prior** to coming to the pharmacy for pickup. ** And to clarify, even those submitted by a physician at the clinic, calling the pharmacy to activate the prescription is required. Delays may result otherwise.
Contact the Newport Pharmacy at phone: 401-841-2224 or fax: 401-841-4485. Patients who drop off their prescriptions will be able to receive their medications the next business day after 9 a.m. For patients picking up prescriptions, please have your ID card ready to show the pharmacy staff at curbside and know what medications you need to pick up from the pharmacy. The pickup service is only for those medications that have been previously filled and ready for pickup. If the prescription is not ready for pickup, you may be requested to return later when the prescriptions are ready, to prevent backing up the curbside pickup areas. To help alleviate delays at the clinic, we encourage our beneficiaries to utilize pharmacy options listed below:
o Pharmacy Refill Line: 1 (877) 211-1126
o Pharmacy Home Delivery Pharmacy Program: https://militaryrx.express-scripts.com
o Pharmacy Express Scripts Customer Service: DOD.customer.relations@express- scripts.com
NAVAL WAR COLLEGE MUSEUM: (401) 841-7276. Closed to the public.
NAVY BAND NORTHEAST: Resuming Funeral Honors and select events by request call PAO at (401) 841- 1832 for request process or contact LTJG Shea direct. From LT Borrelli-Boudreau, “It has been an honor to serve as your Navy Bandmaster for the past three years. I will detach on July 17, and report to the Navy Office of Community Outreach (Millington, TN), to serve as the Band Liaison Officer. I thank you all of your support and advocacy for Navy Band Northeast. My replacement is LTJG Matthew Shea, a great officer and a superb jazz musician. He can be reached through e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com and his cell number is (860) 478-9659. He will take charge of the band Wednesday, July 15, at 10 a.m. Very Respectfully, LT Joel Borrelli-Boudreau, USN.”
NAVY AND MARINE CORPS RELIEF SOCIETY: (401) 841-7342. APPOINTMENTS ONLY: The office is open for appointments only – please call (401) 841-7342 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment. Please leave a message and someone will contact you with an appointment time. For immediate emergency assistance, please contact the American Red Cross at (877) 272-7337. Thrift store and donation bins (please do not drop donations off outside of the building) – Closed until further notice.
NAVY EXCHANGE: Barber Shop: Open to ACTIVE DUTY ONLY by appointment. We will be reopening our barbershop at the main store on 7/22. We will begin taking appointments on 7/20. We are accepting appointments for military personnel only. Call to schedule: (401) 841-4387. Delken Dry Cleaners is closed until further notice. To help ease the burden, Delken has a home pickup and delivery service available. Go to http://delken.com/home-delivery for more information. NEX Gas Station Mini-Mart – closed until further notice but pumps remain open for credit/debit card purchases. Subway sandwich shop is open Mon-Sat from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sun. from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION (888) 843-6328. Open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday – CLOSED SATURDAYS. While open, they are practicing social distancing and limiting the number of members in the branch at any given time. ATM use is being encouraged. For more information visit: www.navyfederal.org.
(Tuesday, July 14, 2020 – Departments with headings in red, indicate a change status)
REGION LEGAL SERVICE OFFICE: (401) 841-3766 ext. 200. Providing attorney services by phone. Notary services are suspended. To schedule an appointment, please call (401) 841-3766 ext. 200 or email LEGAL_ASSISTANCE_DET_GROTON@navy.mil.
SAFETY OFFICE (401) 841-1390/7605. All motorcycle safety-training classes at NAVSTA Newport cancelled until further notice.
U.S. ARMY VETERINARY CLINIC (401) 841-3994. Closed until further notice.
OTHER USEFUL NUMBERS:
Department of Defense Child Abuse and Safety Hotline at (877) 790-1197 Fleet and Family Support (401) 841-2283 Military one Source Health & Wellness Coaching (800) 342-9647 National Suicide Prevention Hotline: (800) 273-8255
*** Only those facilities/services listed above have made changes to routine operations. We will send out updates as required and ask everyone to minimize non-essential visits to the installation in order to minimize contact with our active duty military personnel charged with defending our nation. ***
For the most up to date information from the installation, follow us at facebook.com/NAVSTANewport.
Click here for a printable version of closures