ALL AUTHORIZED PATRONS - 16 AND OVER FOR THE FITNESS CENTER
Beginning on Monday, May 3 basketball courts will open, patrons must be fully vaccinated to use. Locker rooms are open on a limited capacity and limited shower access for swimmers only, and we encourage everyone to read the FAQ’s (located on gym web page) prior to coming to the fitness center. Hours of operation for Active Duty Personnel: Monday-Friday, 5 a.m.-1 p.m. & 2-8 p.m.; Saturday & Sunday 8 a.m.-3 p.m.; & Federal Holidays 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Hours of operation for Retirees, Dependents & DoD civilians: Monday-Friday 7-11 a.m.; Saturday & Sunday 8 a.m.-3 p.m.; & Federal Holidays 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
GROUP FITNESS CLASSES: Currently online on MWR NewportRI You Tube Channel and posted Monday-Friday on www.Facebook.com/NavyLifeNPT.
IN PERSON GROUP FITNESS CLASSES: How to reserve your group exercise spot:
• Call (401) 841-2512 no more than 24 hours before class time.
• Reservations are REQUIRED for dependents and DoD civilians and strongly recommended for active duty personnel.
• All participants must be screened, temperature checked and then proceed directly upstairs to the designated group exercise room.
• Patrons check-in at the front entrance no more than 10 minutes before class starting time. Patrons will forfeit their spot if they haven’t checked in by class start time.
• All dependents and DoD civilians must leave the building promptly at the end of class. There is NO locker room or shower access at this time.
• Group fitness daily fees are free for active duty personnel and their dependents; $3 for DoD civilians.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is the John H. Chafee Fitness Center open?
Yes, Hours of operation for Active Duty Personnel: Monday-Friday, 5 a.m.-1 p.m. & 2-8 p.m.;
Saturday & Sunday 8 a.m.-3 p.m.; & Federal Holidays 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
Hours of operation for Retirees, Dependents & DoD civilians: Monday-Friday 7-11 a.m.;
Saturday & Sunday 8 a.m.-3 p.m.; & Federal Holidays 9 a.m.-2 p.m
How does an individual Active Duty person use the gym?
- Come during any of the listed open blocks of time – we will be closed for cleaning in between those timeframes.
- Be ready to workout in proper gear, locker rooms and showers are still secured.
- There is a 135 person limit in the John H. Chafee Center with additional limitations on specific areas within the facility.
- See below for additional area and facility guidelines
How does a Command use the gym?
- Commands may reserve outdoor or indoor court space for up to 50 people. The main fitness floor is for open active duty only. usage.
- The command must reserve the space. Reservations must be made online by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reservations will only be accepted from a Command CFL, ACFL, or designated Command Fitness POC.
- Courts for exclusive use have been modified with equipment and suggested workouts to help meet your command fitness goals.
- Reservations will be accepted 24-48 hours in advance for the current week only in order to provide all commands equal access to the facility.
- The Fitness Coordinator or Facility Coordinator will confirm all reservations by email.
Are there restrictions on using the Fitness Center?
- Yes, there are restrictions in place. No more than 129 people (6 people outside at TRX Box) can enter the building at any time.
- People must be dispersed across different areas, with at most 45 people in the weight area, at most 35 people in the cardio area, at most 12 people on the track, and at most 5 people in the ab room, 12 people in the pool, 6 people at the TRX Box outside, and 20 people on basketball courts (must be fully vaccinated for basketball courts). If the area you wish to use is full, you will have to use another area while you wait for space.
Is there a protocol for entering the building?
- Yes, the following protocol should be observed:
- Use the visibly outlined marks while waiting to enter the fitness center.
- Only use the two doors to the left of the front entrance.
- Face masks must be worn at all times (except when engaged in cardio activity).
- All patrons must go through each station before fully entering the facility:
- Temperature Check
- A temperature of 100 or higher: no admittance into the building. If someone has a fever, they have to leave and not return until fever-free without medical intervention for three days.
- Medical Screening Questionnaire
- After temperature check all patrons are required to complete a medical screening questionnaire. If they answer yes to any of the questions, they must leave the facility.
- Reception and Entry
- All patrons must check in at the front desk showing their ID.
- The fitness attendant will enter your information into the keypad.
- Temperature Check
Is there a protocol once inside the building?
Yes, the following protocol should be observed:
- All patrons must wear a cloth facemask at all times, except when engaged in cardio activity.
- Locker rooms are open on a limited capacity.
- All patrons must clean equipment before and after each use.
- All patrons must wash hands per posted CDC guidelines.
- Showers are secured.
- No “spotting” in the weight area is permitted.
- No contact of any kind is permitted.
- Maintain six feet of distance at all times.
- We are requesting patrons bring their own filled water bottles and only use the touchless filling stations to refill.
- Patrons will be required to provide their names and phone numbers to staff when entering or exiting each distinct fitness area to facilitate contact tracing if it becomes necessary.
- Only 1 patron at a time permitted per indicated “box” in weight areas with red floor boxes.
The John H. Chafee Fitness Center has gone cashless, all major credit cards are accepted. This MWR facility is open to Active Duty personnel, Reservists, Retirees, Dependents, and DoD civilians with valid ID & base access.