The John H Chafee Fitness Center is open limited hours for walk in active duty only. Patrons will continue to be required to pass screening and temperature checks before entering, and strict limitations apply to the number of patrons authorized within each area of the facility. Commands looking to reserve exclusive time/space may reserve our newly assembled command fitness location in the basketball court area for their exclusive use. Locker rooms and showers remain closed, and we encourage everyone to read the FAQ’s (below) prior to coming to the fitness center. Questions, call (401) 841-2512.
Hours of operation:
Monday through Friday (closed weekends & Federal Holidays)
5 a.m. to 12 p.m. - Active Duty Only
2 to 7 p.m. - Active Duty Only
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the John H. Chafee Fitness Center open?
- Yes, it is open to Active Duty only.
How does an individual Active Duty person use the gym?
- Come during any of the listed open blocks of time – we will be closed for cleaning in between those timeframes.
- Be ready to workout in proper gear, locker rooms and showers are still closed.
- There is a 72 person limit in the John H. Chafee Center with additional limitations on specific areas within the facility.
- See below for additional area and facility guidelines
How does a Command use the gym?
- Commands may reserve outdoor or indoor court space for up to 50 people. The main fitness floor is for open active duty only. usage.
- The command must reserve the space. Reservations must be made online by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reservations will only be accepted from a Command CFL, ACFL, or designated Command Fitness POC.
- Courts for exclusive use have been modified with equipment and suggested workouts to help meet your command fitness goals.
- Reservations will be accepted 24-48 hours in advance for the current week only in order to provide all commands equal access to the facility.
- The Fitness Coordinator or Facility Coordinator will confirm all reservations by email.
Are there restrictions on using the Fitness Center?
- Yes, there are restrictions in place. No more than 72 people can enter the building at any time.
- People must be dispersed across different areas, with at most 30 people in the weight area, at most 30 people in the cardio area, at most 8 people on the track, and at most 4 people in the ab room. If the area you wish to use is full, you will have to use another area while you wait for space.
Is there a protocol for entering the building?
- Yes, the following protocol should be observed:
- Use the visibly outlined marks while waiting to enter the fitness center.
- Only use the two doors to the left of the front entrance.
- All patrons must wear a cloth facemask while in line to enter the facility and once in the facility. The cloth facemask may only be removed while performing exercise.
- All patrons must go through each station before fully entering the facility:
- Temperature Check
- A temperature of 100 or higher: no admittance into the building. If someone has a fever, they have to leave and not return until fever-free without medical intervention for three days.
- Medical Screening Questionnaire
- After temperature check all patrons are required to complete a medical screening questionnaire. If they answer yes to any of the questions, they must leave the facility.
- Reception and Entry
- All patrons must check in at the front desk showing their ID.
- The fitness attendant will enter your information into the keypad.
- Temperature Check
Is there a protocol once inside the building?
Yes, the following protocol should be observed:
- Cloth facemasks must be worn at all times when not actively working out.
- No lockers or cubbies to be used.
- All patrons must clean equipment before and after each use.
- All patrons must wash hands per posted CDC guidelines.
- Locker rooms are closed, and no showers are permitted at this time.
- No “spotting” in the weight area is permitted.
- No contact of any kind is permitted.
- Maintain six feet of distance at all times.
- We are requesting patrons bring their own filled water bottles and only use the touchless filling stations to refill.
- Patrons will be required to provide their names and phone numbers to staff when entering or exiting each distinct fitness area to facilitate contact tracing if it becomes necessary.
- Only 1 patron at a time permitted per indicated “box” in weight areas with red floor boxes.