The fitness center is open for all authorized patrons (Active Duty personnel, Reservists, Retirees, Dependents and DoD civilians). Locker rooms, showers, indoor track, basketball and racquetball courts are available for use.
- Fitness center age authorization charts are available at the front desk (on right hand side of this webpage to download)
- All patrons must follow current COVID rules & regulations
- Face masks are required 100% indoors (regardless of vaccination status) except when engaging in cardio* workout. *check with fitness staff to see what qualifies.
- Individual bottles will be provided for all areas, please ensure you clean everything before and after use.
GROUP FITNESS CLASSES:
Open to all authorized patrons (Active Duty personnel, Reservists, Retirees, Dependents and DoD civilians) on a first come, first served basis.
- Reservation for courts must be made the day of (first come, first served).
Closed until further notice.
Orientations are available 7 days a week, but sign-ups are required. Fill out a youth orientation form at the John H. Chafee Fitness Center. Children ages 10-14 years old may use the fitness facility after receiving a youth orientation from a certified fitness specialist. The program is intended to introduce youths and their guardians on how to exercise in a safe and supervised environment. After completion of the program, the youth can use all authorized cardio and/or weight equipment with the supervision of a parent or legal guardian. *Refer to MWR Naval Station Newport Fitness Age Authorization Chart.
This MWR facility is open to Active Duty personnel, Reservists, Retirees, Dependents and DoD civilianswith valid ID & base access. Contractors, Retired DoD civilians and Veterans (VA caregivers) are NOT eligible to use the John H. Chafee Fitness Center. MWR has gone cashless, all major credit cards are accepted.
How are we doing? We value your feedback and would love to hear from you.